Sunday, March 12, 2006

Yesterday's News. (actually Friday's news)

I kept typing News as Knews. That was just dumb.


Anyway, It's actually Thursday's and Friday's news. I was helping out in church to do the backdrop and stuff for the upcoming Easter Presentation (I'll paste the dates time and place and address and map here later. Please come :D).

Well I mainly helped draw out and painted the temple. I added some artistic touches to make it look realistic, but it was overdone by the girl who was the one drawing all the art stuff. She drew the garden scene. I dunno, I preferred what I did. It was mild from far yes, but it really brought out the dimension of the drawing, making it look realistic. Bah. Anyway she's in TOA (college that teaches art, but she's studying Advertising) so I guess the artsy stuff should rub-off on her more than it should for a guy who can't draw for nuts.

Anyway... After that (on friday) me, the girl and one of the Performing Arts Department (PAD) member's maid were painting the 3 crosses. THE WERE HUGE! (They're still huge don't worry). And they were HEAVY! Well, when you lift something that tall and have to hold it upright and shift its position of course it's heavy. Common sense, center of gravity. Anyway, my feet were DEAD TIRED when all that was done. I went out for dinner (since I knew that my stepfather hated me eating at home if I can eat outside. It's easy to catch his conversations when he's angry, most often would be at me and scolding my mom, especially when I'm just upstairs at the stairs. Funny isn't it? I find it hilarious. Really. Actually I find almost anything hilarious nowadays. My sense of humour has got plenty of screws loose.) and ate Bak Kut Teh at a nearby restaurant (near my house I mean). It was rather ok. Cost me 15 bucks. Ouch.

After doing the usual things (bathed, waited for stepfather to not want to use comp anymore then I used comp), I got online and started playing games. Typical of me eh?

Anyway, who knew how tired my legs were? I certainly didn't. Not until I tried to get up after putting my comp into shutdown. I couldn't! @_@;; My legs refused to move. After much effort I manage to lift my left leg up. I could hardly stand up. (I seriously need more exercise.) I manage to start walking, stammering here and there, got myself a drink and went to bed.

I didn't mind the leg tiredness and everything. Fortunately for me, I didn't get a cramp. It was after all, all for the Lord. I sacrificed my Friday time totally for Him, and I'm glad I did. Made me feel so good.

However, I didn't like the fact that no one else turned up. There were only 4 people on Thursday (Me, Drama Director, the girl who painted and another member who came rather late. I was already late cuz after college and had to rush off for TCS Choir Practice [another choir I'm in]). Imagine that. I remember when the Drama Director asked for volunteers to help, some put their hands up. Where were they?

On Friday, it was Me, the Drama Director, the girl again and our Dance Director's maid (the Dance Director came later cuz she had work). That was it. There was SO MUCH to do and that was all we had.

Well, in the end it was proven that was all we needed. We managed to finish most of what we needed to do (the temple backdrop still needed fixing, but the most parts were done). I was rather well... Disappointed by the turnout (since it WAS a Friday I expected at least SOME people to come). Though I really don't like to be overpraised (I know I get big headed very easilly), the Dance Director told me "It's the heart that matters. I'm really thankful that you came, sacrificng your entire day and energy." That was after I said "It's better than doing nothing at home, playing games the whole day. Beneficial at least."

I guess it's true. I'm rather disappointed by this year's production cast really. I can see for myself that half of them are doing everything half-heartedly. They don't want to get deep into detail and truly get everything right. They just want to do it, be done with it and will be able to say that "I was in the FGA 2006's Easter Performance". Of course, I'm exaggerating this a lot, but that's basically what I see in them. They don't make the effort to go deep into the performance, perfecting their own performance and thinking of more things that could be done and how existing things could be made better. Even a little child can act it out when he's stabbed by a sword or gets his ear cut off. The rest of the children around him would definitely start to fight back and see if he's alright (acting of course, by instinct). One of our soldiers (the one whose ear gets cut off) is, I'm sorry to judge, a hopeless actor. He just looks big in size, and that's it. He cannot act for nuts at all. As far as I can see, put any little KID there and they'd do a better job than he does, albeit the overacting and the hyperness. They don't need to be an adult to figure out what happens when someone cuts off your ear and Jesus heals it. They don't need an adult's mind to think of how to react when someone steals a SOLDIER'S sword and starts hacking away. On an instinct, they would fight back and get the man down. THAT IS INSTINCT AND COMMON SENSE! Children can do that, why can't fully grown men??? Nobody can say they don't have a sense of imagination. Everyone does, only on different wavelengths. However, this doesn't exactly need a lot of it, it just needs a lot of common sense, and well... I'll stop here. We shouldn't judge each other should we? But if we don't, how will the performance get any better...? (Of course God can intervene... But that's a different case)

I mean... I'm not exactly a very skilled dancer/actor/singer. My art sucks to the max. But I use my common sense, my gift of imagination and of course I think deeper to perfect the parts that I'm given. The reason why I'm good at singing is not just because of my voice or my ability to understand music, but also because I put in extra effort to make myself understand it. I use all the IQ I have to relate things here and there to help myself understand and remember them. My acting isn't exactly good either, but I see how others look like, I experiment myself and I learn that way. I learn to do what looks good, and from there things start to take place. I never took a single dancing class in my life, but I DO TRY to look good. Seriously, a guy holding a tambourine just looks weird. However I've tried doing it several times in front of a mirror until I'm sure I don't look weird anymore. I follow those who can do better than I can and mimic their movements. I put my whole heart into what I'm doing.

These words kept repeating itself in my head : "We are worshipping the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords! What more can we do but give our very best? He DESERVES our very best, and yet we come in half heartedly to do the things that we think is ministry. We should not be SATISFIED with what looks good. We should only be satisfied when it looks PERFECT. After all, it is for OUR GOD! How can we present anything less than perfect to Him? How can we give our half-hearted works to Him? How can we come in saying that we can't make it for practices with excuses that we're working and we've got other things in mind, holidays to go for and to put it simply, busy? This is GOD we're talking about. If we're too busy for God, then what's the point of calling Him our God anymore? Then we are worshipping something else other than God. We'd have made gods out of our work, our obsession to get more money and our duty to the office. We would be worshipping the idols that is our work and everything else that comes before God. GOD MUST COME FIRST! HE DESERVES FIRST AND NOTHING LESS! So what if we've got an appointment? Cancel it or postphone it! Who ever told us to go for appointments instead of coming to worship God and to prepare to perform in His presence? Unless God Himself says that we should go instead of coming to church during that particular time, there is NO REASON for us to be anywhere else. Anything else would be an EXCUSE, NEVER a REASON."


I realised later that this could be one of my self-righteous remarks about how imperfect everything and everyone was and was being. Whether it is or not, I'll leave it up to Him to decide.


Oh and BNYL, I don't believe in anything after death other than Heaven and Hell. What my faith says is that there is nothing in between nor after. It's Heaven or Hell. No other choice. Sorry but I just wanted to clarify that with you. Hope I didn't offend you.


God,

Am I really that self-righteous...? Maybe that's why I and our Dance Director can communicate so well. We're both really picky perfectionists when it comes to performing... Please forgive me for judging. It's very common of me nowadays... I'm sorry.


Goodnight people. God Bless you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOD MUST COME FIRST! HE DESERVES FIRST AND NOTHING LESS!

How true! This brings to mind the following song....

Give of your best to the Master;
Give Him first place in your heart;
Give Him first place in your service;
Consecrate every part.
Give, and to you will be given;
God His beloved Son gave;
Gratefully seeking to serve Him,
Give Him the best that you have.

We must learn to apply this to all other areas of our life; especially our quiet time. Give him the first few minutes or an hour of our waking moments. Give him first place in our heart and the rest will follow.

We must also be careful not to let 'perfectionism' rule our life. We are to give him the best that we can and yet not be a perfectionist.

I pray that both my children will come to love God above all.

4:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eloo. long time no hear eh? lol, i heard...from a reliable source that you were "hand picked" to ask Qs at the M, The Opera Semi Conference thingy...lol ^^ tis ok. haha! you iz lucky.

anyways, all this play for easter n talks bout "perfectionist" reminds me so much bout Mr Chee. eh? doesn't it. theres always someone in the group who just wont perform as how you want it. at one side, it shows personality. on the otherside, it shows Selfishness eh?

i'd say let God keblonk those who don't put the work into it. nya ha! ^^ he's generous enough to give what people deserve at the end of the day ^^ huhuhu. plus, you get brownie points for actually rooting for them n hope they get to their senses. im a firm believer of Karma - (its nothin religious. plus the word sounds cool ^^ karma karma karma kurma opps! karma! hehe) "What Goes Around Comes Around."

toodles! *prances off to the couch cause her body still feels weak*

3:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the performance was wonderful. too bad the conductor blocked my view when you were singing with two other girls. had to strain to the left, but to no avail. =s

continue serving the Lord with all your heart. =)

11:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home